Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How this all started...

A few of you have asked me what exactly it is that I'm traveling across the country to a tiny town in the Appalachian Mountains to do. Let's start at the beginning of how this adventure came to be shall we.

Roughly 3 1/2 years ago, I applied to John C. Campbell's Student Host program. It's a 4 month work exchange that they offer. They hire out for it any where from 1 1/2 to 2 years in advance and its not exactly the easiest thing to get selected for. Its also not the easiest thing for most people to uproot their life for. Back when I first applied, I was nearing 30 and realizing that I wasn't living the life I wanted to lead. Sure I had a job with people I loved, a tiny studio that was cozy and homey, and a great town to live in. But when it came down to it, I felt stagnated. I wanted to be living as an artist, spending my days working towards a career in the arts. I decided it was time to take some risks and see what happened.

I don't really remember how it was that I came to know about John C. Campbell Folk School, but I suspect my time spent at the SOFA expo in Chicago could be how. I figured what the hell. It couldn't hurt to fill out the application and see what happens. I mailed it in and waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing, not a word. I never really gave up hope though. I think somewhere deep in the corner of my mind I knew that some day I'd make it there. Maybe not as the SH, but perhaps as a student. So I didn't fret or worry and merely went on with other adventures.

Those adventures of course took me to Rapid City, SD. To live with the love of my life, our dog, our cat, and now our new roommate. I had told Carl, before moving that if the chance arose for me to go the JCCFS, that I wouldn't be able to pass it up. He being an understanding, loving, supportive partner, who just happens to also be a free spirit and an artist, completely understood. Fast forward to May of 2011 when my phone rings, two years after applying.

I didn't recognize the NC phone number and let it go to voicemail. It then took me 2 1/2 weeks to get a hold of the woman in charge of the program to let her know I was still interested and would die for the chance to interview for the spot.  I set up a phone interview for a few days later. It went so well that about 1/2 way through, she stopped me and said, "You know what, you've got this. I think you'll be a perfect fit. I'll email you the available dates and you let me know which time frame suits you best."

I decided the best time for me to go would be this coming Fall/Winter. Mainly so I could pay down my debt, get my ducks in a row out here, and save a little money before taking off. My other reasons were that I didn't want to deal with my spring time allergies while trying to work outside, or deal with the extreme heat and humidity of the summer. Plus, I'll be able to spend my week off for Christmas with my family.

And so here I am 64 days from the beginning of my adventure and 99 days from starting at JCCFS. So exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment