Saturday, November 3, 2012

A day off, that's just unheard of.....

I sat out to spend the day blogging from the Bella Luna Cafe, only to discover that they weren't open. They also had no hours listed upon their door. Which according to a local gallery owner, is due to the fact that they don't keep "normal hours". So instead, after buying some wonderful soaps at Blue Moon Elise, i found myself in a tiny Italian Bistro named, Antica Roma. The coffee was perfect and the cornetto marmellata left me in flaky pastry heaven! The only draw back was the lack of available wifi.

There's an auction taking place in my house today, which means even less privacy than usual. Thus, the need to fully escape for my day off. This fact was punctuated by a student (who knew it was my weekend off as we had talked about it just last night) asking me questions through the bathroom door, prior to me quickly fleeing campus. "No rest for the wicked", doesn't even graze the surface of how never ending the job of a student host is. Luckily just when I think it sucks, I realize that I'm getting a $1000 vacation/class every week. Its totally worth people interrupting my morning ritual to gain all of this amazing craft training.

I feel like I've learned more in these week long intensives than in the six years it took me to finish my art degree. Maybe its the school? Maybe its me? Maybe its the instructors? Or, maybe its the time in my life? All I know is that I have to soak it all up, and not take a single second for granted.

Which is an important lesson to apply to the rest of my life. I have a hard time living in the present. I'm a planner, a list maker, a schemer. I have to start making a better effort on living in the moment. This sabbatical is just as much about reconnecting with myself as it is about making art and learning new skills. I hope to return from this with a renewed sense of balance, one again the loving happy beautiful soul that sometimes hides at my core. Its a time for stepping back into my integrity and reclaiming my spirit.

Time to see what adventures are lurking around the corner just waiting for my arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment