Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Comfort of feeling at home...

I'm currently a day behind on posting. This is an entry that I made in my notebook yesterday afternoon while I was waiting for Palmer to finish up at work.

"The first thing I'm comforted by are the familiar smells of places from my not so distant past. Baked goods and coffee at Art Mart. The produce section at Common Ground Food Co-op. The mustiness of vintage clothes at Dandelion. Crisp Apples and pumpkin pie at Curtis Orchard. The distinct smells of home.

Greeted with big hugs, kisses to the cheek, the words, "I knew I heard your laugh!". Proof that no matter where I go, or what I do, Champaign-Urbana will always feel like home. I drove passed all my old "homes". The house on Hill St, where my studio apartment goes on without me, seemed to be saying, "Welcome Back". I've certainly missed it most since my move.

Its funny seeing familiar faces and wondering if they recognize me. Its amazing what looks the same and what looks so different. There was a part of me afraid I'd feel strange being back, that it wouldn't leave me feeling as calm as when I left. What a silly thought to have had. After all everyone told me when I left, "You can always come home". And even though its only for a few days, I certainly have."

Last night Palmer and I went to Siam Terrace for an amazing dinner. I had forgotten how good and how spicy their Mock Duck Basil was. So happy I have a little left over for lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment