Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My new world....

My journey was long, but here I am on day 3 of living at the folk school. I've unfortunately left my camera at my sister's in IL, so until she ships it too me I can't share any pictures. This week is pretty laid back and I'm not taking a class, as they like to give the Junior Host time to transition in to the surroundings. This is very important, considering I'm one of very few hosts to have never been to the school before. Normally, a host has either attended a class or been a work study prior to getting awarded the position. I feel pretty lucky to have been chosen without having done either.

 I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job on navigating, but I'm certainly lacking some of the "jump in and get it done" attitude that I tend to exude. Right now I'm shadowing Sadie, the Senior Host, and Tammy, my boss. Things seem to be going fairly well and I'm sure I'll feel like an old pro in a couple of weeks, but for now I'm still a little lost.

The meals have been amazing! I'm so glad they are able and willing to make me "special" food. The tofu scramble at breakfast has been spectacular and last night the spicy chickpea and tomato dish was so good I over ate. Everyone here is super nice and helpful. It's a very positive and caring community. Which is exactly what I need.

Tonight is my first folk school dance. I'm excited and a bit nervous. Its been a long time since I've done what I consider "real" dancing. By that I mean dances that have actual steps to them and aren't just people grooving to the music. I'll start my first class next week. I'm taking Pine Needle Basketry. Should be fun and it's something completely outside my skill set.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to NC! The Tuesday night dance is a great "first" dance to attend - they do a great job teaching newcomers the steps, and the experienced folks love helping out new dancers.

    They do a great job on the food - be sure to tell the kitchen staff how much you appreciate it. They're great folks in there:)

    Looking forward to meeting you one of these days. If you find yourself headed to Asheville, do look me up:)

    ReplyDelete