Monday, July 30, 2012

The countdown continues....

I'm 25 days away from being on sabbatical. I find myself very antsy. Work has been quiet since I returned from my vacation time, and I think its adding to my anticipation.

I managed to finish going through my things and have begun my pile of things to take. Thus far it includes, my yoga mat and other yoga props, my laptop bag, and a large tub of art supplies. I still have to add my large portfolio packed with paper too large to fit in the tub, all of my fiber arts supplies, my printmaking supplies, and all my clothes, shoes, and accessories. It seems like a lot, but it'll be far less than what I packed in my car to move from Urbana, IL to Rapid City 3 years ago.

I still feel weird about leaving my cat here. I know she'll be fine and that in reality it'll be far less stressful for her than if I moved her to someone's home closer to where I'll be. Its just that she's been my companion for 11 years now, and I'll miss her dearly. Plus, there is the fact that she isn't exactly fond of others and I'm afraid she'll freak out with me gone for five months. I'm so grateful to have Carl and Cori to look after her while I'm away. Here's hoping she doesn't beat up the dog too much while I'm gone.

I found out the other day that my folks are planning to drive down with me from their place to Brasstown. The three of us are going to camp for a couple of days, explore the area, and get me settled in to my new home at JCCFS. I'm really excited they're coming with me, it'll make the final leg of the trip less nerve wracking.

25 days from the end of my job, 39 days until I leave Rapid City, 61 days until I start at JCCFS

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you! You are going to have quite the adventure. Having just finished my year sabbatical myself, I'm a bit jealous:) Good luck, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca! Can't wait to visit with once I'm in NC. I hope Asheville is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete